One of the best things about Seneca County in my opinion is the fundamental belief here that you have to plan. People here agree with some of my favorite quotes: “Failing to plan is planning to fail” (Alan Lukein) and “Plans are worthless, but planning is everything ” (Eisenhower.)
Here is a quick summary of some of the types of plans currently in place.
- Comprehensive Plan – a long-range (20 to 30 years) and comprehensive (looks at everything) general plan for a geographic area (city, county, state, etc.) that provides policy guidelines on transportation, utilities, land use, recreation, housing, and economic development, among other areas. It is a “community development” plan.
- Strategic Plan – a short-term (1 to 5 years) general and specific plan for any kind of organization that envisions a future and translates the vision into broadly-defined goals and objectives and a sequence of steps (strategies) to achieve them.
- Comprehensive Economic Development Strategy (CEDS) – a type of economic development strategic plan required by the federal government to qualify for certain assistance. Must contain (1) background info, (2) SWOT analysis, (3) goals and objectives, (4) public and private sector participation, (5) strategic projects, programs, and activities, (6) a plan of action, and (7) performance measures.
The Plans in Place
- Tiffin Comprehensive Plan (1994 – 64 MB)
- Fostoria 2005: A Framework for Progress Summary (1996 – 44 KB)
- Seneca County Comprehensive Plan (2001 – 10 MB)
- Tiffin Downtown Strategic Plan (2010 – 11 MB)
- Seneca County Comprehensive Economic Development Strategy (2011 – 3 MB)
- Tiffin Comprehensive Plan (CP) – SIEDC, together with the City of Tiffin, are beginning to evaluate when the plan should be updated.
- Fostoria CP – Renee Smith, who just came on board as the new President of the Fostoria Economic Development Corporation (FEDC) in July, is reviewing the Framework (there are large binders for each of the topics in the Summary) and putting together her updates. One of her goals for the coming year will likely be to update and revitalize the plan and Vision 2020, the 501c3 that “owns” the plan.
- Seneca County CP – The new Director of the Seneca Regional Planning Commission, Roxyanne Burrus, who begins December 1, 2014, will look at the County’s Comprehensive Plan and determine what next steps, if any, need to take place.
- Tiffin Downtown – Currently, the Tiffin Downtown Strategic Plan is in the process of being updated. On October 6, Tiffin City Council approved $120,000 for a study to be led and managed by SIEDC to not only update the plan but dive deep into catalytic project implementation and design guidelines. The study will be conducted by the Craig Gossman and the Gossman Group.
- Seneca County CEDS – The Board of the Seneca Industrial and Economic Development Corporation (SIEDC) reviewed the County’s CEDS at their Strategic Board Retreat on October 29, 2014. Members voted on the top three goals, and the board reached consensus on the top objectives for 2015. A scope of work and budget for 2015 is being prepared based on this feedback. SIEDC indicates that the plan could be potentially updated as early as 2016 or 2017 (five years later.)