$83,000 to be invested in exterior improvements
TIFFIN, OHIO – June 9, 2015 – Today, the Architectural Board of Review approved a Façade Enhancement Grant for the Laird Arcade, the ninth awarded in 2015, and Laurie Repp, owner of 159 South Washington Street, announced plans to paint her building. Combined, more than $83,000 will be invested.
The Tiffin Community Reinvestment Group, owners of the Laird Arcade at the corner of Market and Washington Streets, will use grant funds to help offset the cost of a new roof. The existing roof is a rolled rubber membrane, and will be replaced with the same material. The estimated total cost of the project is $78,000, of which $10,000, the highest amount available through the program, will be covered by the Façade Enhancement Grant.
Improvements to 159 South Washington Street, current home of New Horizons of Tiffin, will include washing, caulking, glazing and painting the building’s façade and replacing the window treatments on the second floor. The total cost of the project is $5,000.
The building dates back to at least 1869, when Wolf & Son opened their book bindery. From the 1870’s until prohibition, a number of saloons occupied the space. In 1932, Mr. and Mrs. William Griffith opened their women’s ready-to-wear store, modernized the interior, and added a new storefront and novel marquee. Clevenger’s and F.W. Uhlman & Co. also occupied the space before it was purchased and converted to law offices in 1996.
Mayor Aaron Montz is excited about the façade improvements. “It is great to see downtown building owners investing in the appearance of their buildings and helping to make downtown Tiffin a destination.”
Started in 1983, the Seneca Industrial and Economic Development Corp. (SIEDC) is a private, non-profit corporation dedicated to driving positive economic, downtown, and community development in Tiffin and Seneca County, Ohio, which consistently ranks among the top communities nationally for economic development. Learn more about the great things going on at the company’s blog at www.senecasuccess.com.
Building history courtesy of local historian John Huss.