A new Tiffin Halloween event, the 1st Annual Downtown Trick or Treat is slated for Friday, Oct. 30 from 3:30-5 p.m. More than 60 businesses, organizations and offices all over downtown Tiffin will be opening their doors to provide candy to children. Afterward, Tom Rodgers Flowers will have cider and donuts for adult trick or treaters from 5-6 p.m.
Organizer Yolanda Gonzales got the idea from a similar event in Owensboro, KY, where she used to live. “It was a win for the community, businesses got positive exposure, kids got candy, caretakers learned more about their community and it was daylight. I found myself entering business that I would not normally go into – it was a wonderful way to meet businesses in town – also meet the people who own the businesses and people who work there,” she said. “So, I contacted Mr. Montz with the idea and he said it was a great idea – but he needed someone to coordinate it. I volunteered.”
Gonzales was greeted with excitement and enthusiastic responses from downtown businesses and hopes to make this an annual event. “The owners of Cabin Creations said they used to do this downtown – but no one else remembers. I hope this becomes a new tradition for Tiffin.”
The following organizations are scheduled to participate, as well as businesses displaying a flyer in the window during the event:
If you have a downtown business, organization or office and would like to join the fun, contact Yolanda Gonzales at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This is only one of the many events taking place over the next two weeks. Other upcoming community Halloween events include:
- Fall Into Family Fun (Tiffin Community YMCA) – Hedges-Boyer Park Barn – Friday, Oct. 23, 6:30-8 p.m.
- Tiffin Community Trick or Treat – Sunday, Oct. 25, 6-8 p.m.
- Halloween Carnival Benefit for the Vanderhoff Family – Elizabeth Shafer Auditorium (St. Francis) – Sunday, Oct. 25, 1-4 p.m.
- An Evening With Edgar Allen Poe – Tiffin-Seneca Public Library – Thurday, Oct. 29, 6:30 p.m.
- Trick or Trot 5K Run/Walk – Tiffin University Nature Preserve – Saturday, Oct. 31, 10 a.m.
- Come Walk Among the Tombstones – Seneca County Museum Halloween Luncheon – Saturday, Oct. 31, 1-3 p.m.
- Survivors Take Back the Night/Fright Night 5K Run/Walk – Seneca Community Chaplain Corps – Saturday, Oct. 31, 3-6 p.m.
- Riehm Farms Barnyard Fun and Corn Maze – Saturdays, 12-7 p.m., Sundays 12-6 p.m. through Oct. 31
- Haunted Tiffin Ghost Walks – Fridays and Saturdays, July – Halloween, or by appointment